Target Audience: Canvas Administrators
To start the process of adding Accelerate courses to a program’s Canvas LMS, an Accelerate representative will:
- Email the identified person both a Consumer Key and a Shared Secret. These will be needed during the course import process to configure an External App using LTI. A second set of credentials may be provided if using certain AP or CTE titles.
- Grant access to one or more Dropbox folders containing common cartridge exports (.imscc files) for each course.
Once the above items are received:
(Select here to download a PDF file with the following steps.)
- Access the provided Dropbox folder. Navigate to the .imscc file of the course you want to import and select download.
- Verify you have the following information available prior to starting the import process:
– Launch URL: https://ideal.accelerate-ed.com/lti/dispatch
– Domain: https://ideal.accelerate-ed.com
– Program-specific Key and Secret (provided by an Accelerate representative)
- Log in to Canvas and select the Admin tab » Courses within the vertical menu.
- Select the +Course button in the upper right.
- Complete the fields on the Add a New Course card and then select Add Course button.
– Course Name and Reference Code must have data.
– This action creates a course shell, but the content is not yet loaded.
- Open the newly created course course by selecting the hyperlinked course name within the Admin tab Courses view.
- Select Import Existing Content from the options on the right.
- Select Content Type dropdown menu » Canvas Course Export Package.
- Select Choose file and choose the appropriate common cartridge for the course you are loading. Remember to extract the files from the previously downloaded zipped folder before importing.
- Select the All content radio button and deselect the Import existing quizzes as New Quizzes » Import.
An error message will display once the import process is completed. This is a reminder that you still need to add the LTI credentials provided before the course setup is complete.
- Return to your course list and drill into the course where content was just loaded. Content links should be visible on the Home view.
- Select the Settings option from the lower left side of the Courses tab once in the course.
- Select the Apps tab and then the View App Configurations button.
- Select the menu to the right of the tool labeled Accelerate » Edit.
- Replace the text that appears in the Consumer Key fields and Shared Secret fields with the information you were provided.
– Do not be concerned if the initial Key entry shows “fake.”
– This is simply an artifact of the common cartridge process. However, you must add the credentials provided in order for course content to load.
– Warning: Do not alter or remove the items in the Custom Fields area.
- Select Submit once the Key and Secret have been entered.
- Repeat this process for each course you want to import into Canvas.
Tags: import courses common cartridge canvas